Sunday, February 28, 2010

PCM Meet the Famiglia: UpCycled-Threads












PCM Meet the Famiglia Charissa Drengsen of Curly-Cue

Whack Weapon of Choice? Since I am the ADD poster child of crafting, I can't seem to pick just one medium. I tend to bounce between digital, paper, textiles, paint, collage, altered art assemblage, beads, metal, nature, and found objects. I guess if I had to choose one favorite tool of the trade it would be the scissor. I really enjoy taking apart pre-loved materials and reassembling them into something innovative. Some sewing mavens wield their scissors with a delicate sensibility. I tend to snip with gusto. There is a real free style to my process. I tend to craft in the land somewhere between elegance and utilitarian ferocity.
Business Name, and how did you get it? curly-cue design. When I was a little girl my mother used to recite a rhyme at me: "There was a little girl, who had a little curl, right in the middle of her forehead. When she was good, she was very very good, and when she was bad, she was horrid." That's me, the little curly girl. When I was considering what to call my design business I drew from one of my favorite hobbies, quantum physics. There is something in chaos theory called a "strange attractor". Its magnetic force creates a fractal pattern of a curly-cue. My work is all about relativity and working with chaos. Thus curly-cue design was born.

DIY style? A blend of farmhouse chic, steampunk, art deco and eco-comfort futurism.

DIY Tip? Love what comes to hand with all your heart. See all its possibilities, then shove it in a new direction with gusto. Don't be afraid to try something impossible.

What's your Sign baby? Capricorn - Earth sign - the mountain goat. Baaaaa!
What's your favorite Karaoke song? I'm pretty sure I could rock Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody" like a rocking thing.

Favorite Italiana Meal? Pasta Puttanesca (Whores' Pasta): olive oil, capers, anchovies or caviar, garlic, kalamata olives, parmesan cheese, red chili pepper flakes, the kitchen sink... over spaghettini noodles. The concept is basically to throw whatever you have in the cupboard into a pan with olive oil and garlic and put it over pasta. Again, the whole concept of using what you have at hand to create something fabulous. It's all in the wrist.

No comments: