Tuesday, February 26, 2008

The Felt Baron









From time to time Petaluma Craft Mafia and Moxieville will be conducting interviews on these blogsites of our own crafty famiglia, The Petaluma Craft Mafia. We may include other nifty and crafty folks we admire as well. It's all good! The Petaluma Craft Mafia has grown since we founded our famiglia late last summer. One of our newest members is Tami Lovett-Brumfield. Tami is transitioning her company Felt-Baron into 3 Black Dog Design. She impressed me not only with her clever and original felt plushies, but her kindness, grace and humor. She is an absolute professional and is generous with lots of fun and warmth to share. We're very proud to welcome her into the Petaluma Craft Mafia.

Like me, Tami is a fellow illustrator as well and she is the culprit that turned me onto gouache. (Yeah, you all remember the blog.) And I'm looking forward to any more tips she may have to share with me. She keeps us well-supplied in awesome stickers from Mrs. Grossman's, where she works as a sticker designer. She is generous with her sunny and wise humor and of course adorable felty Neopolitan ice cream sandwiches. We heart her!



Welcome Tami, please tell us the name of your business.

FeltBaron
www.feltbaron.etsy.com

Tell the folks what you make...
Plushies made from felt and fleece.

How did you get into this line of work? My mom taught me how to sew when I was a little kid and I’ve always liked to make things. I came across “The Cute Book” by Aronzi Aronzo last year and it really inspired me to sew again.

What is the typical work day for you like?
During the day, Monday through Friday I work as an illustrator for Mrs. Grossman’s Paper Company in Petaluma. From the time I get home, until the wee hours of I turn into the Feltbaron soon to be 3 Black Dog Design.

What and who inspires you?
Everything!

Favorite thing about your work?
It makes people smile and it won’t break if you drop it.

What is the single best piece of business advice you wish you knew when you were getting started?
Do your homework first.

What’s in your fridge?
Some cupcakes from Tuesday’s cupcake swap.

Oh man, we ate all of ours! Who’s your favorite poet?
Does Dr. Seuss count? No, I’m kidding I don’t have one.

Dr. Suess absolutely counts! Favorite guilty pleasure?
Pie and fried chicken.

What’s playing on the I-pod?
The Foo Fighters

Himself loves the Foos. What is your favorite way to unwind?
A cup of decaf tea sitting in bed with my dog watching episodes of “Keeping up Appearances.”

Where is your favorite crafty haunt?
Britex Fabrics in San Francisco. If parking weren’t so expensive I’d be in there all day.

How do you feel American women crafty entrepreneurs have influenced American culture and craft in general?
They’ve saved us from the mountains of mass produced products. Handmade items are really valued and appreciated again. There seems to be a rediscovery of things we’ve all valued as children but forgot about.

Amen! Hail American Women Crafters! What about the world still holds wonder for you?
People that throw cigarettes out the window.

Yeah, and The Donald's hairpiece! Speaking of famous and not so, when throwing a dinner party who would you love to invite and have seated on your left, and another choice on your right?
William Shatner and Thomas Hardy

If you had the chance to sing a live duet on stage, who would you choose to sing with? What would you sing?
William Huang from American Idol because I might actually sound like I could sing next to him. The song we’d sing would be “Row, Row, Row Your Boat” because I could actually remember the lyrics.

Not to get all macabre on you, but as we are in the "Mafia," what would you like enscribed on your headstone and what music would you choose?
“Here lies Tami, she died smiling” Music: Hells Bells by AC/DC, I want to go out with a bang.

Where do you see you and your business heading in the coming year? Any particular goals or plans? My focus for the beginning part of the year is getting a website up and running. Asides from rebuilding my plushy inventory, I’m working on some new designs for this year.

What words of advice would you give crafty entrepreneurs?

Take risks, have fun, and do what you love.

What absolutely just makes your day?
When people say they like my work!

Thanks Tami. To check out Tami's felt-up goods check out her Etsy shop above.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I totally heart Tami!

-Lara

Petaluma Craft Mafia said...

Hey Lara,

You're a sweetheart.:)

xo,

PCM

Siren Suds said...

I heart her too! It's not every day a genuine felt baron is part of the mafia!

the mermaid
p.s. did the girl with the most Moxie tell you she's making me a felt mermaid? At least she keeps promising, she was supposed to have done it months ago! Did you heart that Moxieville? :)

Moxieville said...

Aww Anna, I promise! I actually ordered a sea horse pattern and I was gonna do sea horses for your display table for Christmas. Unfortunateley ther was an etsy mix-up with the vendor and it arrived late ... then I lost steam. I promise though .... Maybe by your b-day? :)

Moxieville said...

p.s. ... I couldn't agree with you more regarding our Felt Baron! :) Great interview!